Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Organizing actions by context = faster decisions about your focus

Question:  
I have been implementing GTD for approximately three years.  I read Getting Things Done and Making It All Work, and have gained a lot of respect for you, and the enormous sphere of knowledge and wisdom that you have shared with the World. -

As an architect, I run a design-oriented architectural practice, along with several job roles, and consistently attempt to balance work and a family life.  

Over the years, I have found that organizing next action items by context is difficult for me to implement for the following reasons: 
1.    I tend to be very intuitive and think about next action items by project in lieu of context.  Once I disconnect the next action from a project, it seems to lose some relevance and importance. 
2.    The knowledge worker is now mobilizing the tools of his trade; his “office” is redefined and flexible to temporarily become the location that he is inspired to work in.  

The knowledge worker is part of the mobile workforce; therefore, next action items organized by contexts, such as: @ work, @ home, @ computer, @ iPhone are becoming more and more interrelated, and less segregated.

I agree with your theory in regard to deciding what next action item to accomplish by the energy level you have at the moment, or the time available.  I am also familiar with the work of Tony Schwartz on The Energy Project.  Have you given much thought to redefining contexts, organizing by project, and if so what do you recommend? What if you organize next action items by energy level, such as:  @ high energy level, @ medium energy level, or @ low energy level?

Any wisdom or advice to share? I am very interested in your response.

David’s Answer: 
Great questions. In truth, the only reason to organize by context is for streamlining decisions about your focus. In other words, it doesn’t make sense to keep having to consider options that are impossible. If something has to be done at your house, why include it in your options when you’re not at your house? But context, to your point, could mean ANY context – time required, energy required, type of activity, etc. There are times when I need to segment some of my At Computer stuff into a Creative Writing category, because I have to be in a certain frame of mind and location to do that kind of work. Before I go on a big trip, I create a “have to do before the trip” context. I had a CTO once who had an At BrainDead context, for those kinds of tasks to do, when he was toast. Etc. Etc.

Whatever works. Just doesn’t make a lot of sense to NOT be able to see something you could be doing (if you only had actions you could see when you opened up project notes); nor does it make sense to have to sort through options when they’re not an option. Otherwise it’s all fair game.

See more at: gtdtimes

No comments: